The community of St Paul's began around 1855 in an iron building in Northumberland Park (what is now 125 Northumberland Park). Ms Jemima Holt bequeathed some land in Park Lane and William Mumford, architect, was appointed. Construction work began in 1858 and the church, built from Kentish stone, was consecrated in 1859 as one of the "Commissioners churches".
In 1973 the building was demolished and whilst the new church and flats were being built the church community worshipped in the school hall across the road. The current building was dedicated on 20 November 1976 by the Rt Rev'd Bishop Bill Westwood, Bishop of Edmonton.
St Paul's is in the Anglo-Catholic tradition of the Church of England, celebrating Mass at least 5 times a week.